Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Moving on!

I have never been more miserable in a job than I have been in the one I currently hold. In fact, I don't think I have ever been miserable in a job at all. Not even at Burger King! :-)

Of course, this is not something one blogs about until they have an alternative... So yes, I am pleased to tell you that I am leaving the startup tech company (the one that was acquired 8 weeks after I started) for an opportunity with an very well-established health care services firm. I'll be managing the staff overseeing their IT infrastructure (about 250 servers and a large storage environment) - work similar to what I enjoyed at DOT.

My new company seems like a great organization. They involved all the staff I'd be managing in the interviews, which says a lot about the company, and allowed me to meet what seems to be very talented, dedicated team of folks. When I discussed the importance of regular hours and having a life outside the office, my boss's boss reassured me by noting that, by interviewing me past 5:00, I had triggered cell phone calls from his wife wondering where he was! The benefits are good, and include domestic partner benefits, so Susan won't have to go back to self-insuring again.

Here's hoping this will be the job I long for -- challenging and rewarding work as part of a cohesive team, and work that does not follow me home every night.

I am so grateful for the support that Susan and others have given me in this extremely trying period. This job has had me tied up in knots for months, with Susan nearly single-handedly giving me the energy I needed to make it through.

Lucky. I am lucky.

2 comments:

Kyle Walton said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, Deb!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I will try to channel your courage and do the same. Congratulations!