Sunday, November 19, 2006

An update on the new job


So, I've been kind of quiet as I've settled into my new job. The environment is great, a wonderful converted loft office space downtown featuring exposed brick and contemporary design concepts. I have a nice office, and other amenities (large kitchen with all major appliances and free coffee, tea, sodas water -- and if they don't have what you want, they'll order it).

I love the location; 2 miles from home, a few blocks from the capital. The immediate neighborhood includes the Electric Earth Cafe (one of my favorite coffee and sandwich spots), WORT public radio, the Echo Tap and Grill (an institution -- 41 years in the same location run by the same family), the offices of the Onion.

My co-workers are very friendly, which is good because there is a steep learning curve and I am having to learn in a very ad hoc manner (I have, after all, been brought in largely due to their lack of processes, so hopefully I will be among the last to suffer this!) The other managers are very open to new ideas and offering me the freedom to make changes.

The work is really interesting -- I am excited to learn more about networking and security, and there are so many ways I can help this company be more effective and efficient, the hardest thing is going to be focusing my efforts. I get up each morning excited about what I can accomplish that day, a feeling I haven't had in a very long time. The flipside of that is that the company needs a lot of help -- it is growing rapidly, and if we don't get a handle on it quickly the ramifications will be substantial. Customers are already wary of the changes they've seen as the company has grown, so I'll need to move quickly to make sure I get the staff, most only with the company for 6 months or less, trained and motivated.

So... lots to do, but a good fit for my skills and work I enjoy, as well as an opportunity to gain experience in areas I'm interested in. So far, so good...!

No comments: