Monday, September 18, 2006

Busy weekend!

On Friday Susan and I hosted a fundraiser for Fair Wisconsin, the organization working to defeat a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage as well as civil unions and other potential domestic partner benefits. (Preparations for this party was the major thing keeping me from my blog, thanks for checking back!) Susan did a ton of work, getting hundreds of dollars worth of contributions from local business for our silent auction and making the house look fabulous! I took pride in the fact that many seemed to enjoy browsing our bookshelves, on which I had taken care to organize and interesting selection (and a fraction of what we have!).

About sixty people attended, we met lots of neighbors, collected several hundred dollars for the cause, educated people on the issue, and encouraged them to go to the polls. It was exhausting (it took days to do all the dishes!), but regardless of the outcome of the vote we'll know we've done our part.

Bright and early Saturday morning we did the AIDS walk (it's not too late to contribute!). Big thanks to my sponsors, I needed every bit of motivation to get out of bed -- and to finish the walk, I was pooped!

Finally, on Sunday we went to the Willy St. Fair. Willy St. (really Williamson St.) is the funky-groovy part of town just on the other side of the river from us, a couple blocks away. Lots of great shops and restaurants and loads of character! Of course, since it was Sunday, there was a tent with the Packers game on!




In other news, Susan got the job she wanted! She talked Gail Ambrosius into creating an office manager position for her -- I'm so proud! But boy oh boy, I gotta stay diligent about the gym! (Why, yes, you can buy Gail's chocolates online!) Here are the chocolates we had at the party... yummm...

No comments: