Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back to the big city

Now that my company headquarters is in Chicago, I've had to make a couple of trips there for meetings. The HQ is on LaSalle St., in the heart of the old financial district, across from the City Hall (with its green roof) and a few blocks from the Sears Tower.

It's about 150 miles from Madison to Chicago, but during rush hour is a 3-1/2 hour drive. The only positive thing I can say about that is that it serves as a reminder of the traffic I left behind in DC! I do not miss the regular honking of car horns.

The people, too, are different. I have been so spoiled by this wonderful, smaller city, with its friendly people who greet strangers, hold doors, and give thanks when others do the same. Simple things can make life so much more pleasant.

My next trip is tomorrow; I have to make a presentation at the company meeting (eek!). Two presentations, actually; a short one before the entire company (150 people) on Monday and long (30 minute) one for just my division (90 people) on Tuesday. Public speaking is not my thing, and I've had very little time to prepare... I'm going to have to imagine Tim Gunn over my shoulder... "make it work!" Send positive vibes my way, won't you?

No comments: